Just a quick rundown of some of my favourites for Trinidad Carnival 2018! These are some songs that will be causing a stir for me and my carnival soul on the road for Carnival Tuesday 2018!
My Top 10 ( IN NO SPECIFIC ORDER- Because you cannot have an order for such greatness!)
- Splinters – Shal Marshall
- Overdue- Erphaan Alves
- Rough Wine – Machel Montano
- Doh Play Dat- Machel Montano (Lord help me on the Savannah Stage)
- I Shall Return- Kes ( This is especially when I run back on the Savannah Stage after having crossed.) Because I crossing more than once.
- Sweet Fuh Days– Patrice Roberts
- Criminal Wine- Lyrikal, Patrice Roberts, Millbeatz (This is one sweet wine)
- Bachannal and Water – Bunji Garlin ( Allyuh watch this one for J’ouvert Morning)
- Vintage Garlin- Bunji Garlin
- Gimme – Destra
Click the list for the official music videos and be prepared to mash up your chair.
Check out the link below for We Jouvert’s official mix and listen while you work, drive, train.. whatever you are doing!
You know for sure there is going to be a part 2 to this post, because the soca this year is infectious and soul grabbing.
Happy Fete Season!
Please remember to get permission to wine!
From boat rides, fetes to cleaning your home, this song makes the hips of almost any woman move
Happy New Year!
Important to note, we have 4 weeks and 3 days till the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH!
If you follow me on Instagram, you would have seen today’s post for ‘Thursday Tracks’ is Baddish by Nailah Blackman and Shenseea. Released last year, this song has a serious feel-good vibe. Soca, dancehall and tropical house all in one. It is infectious and captures how women feel when the song comes on.
From boat rides, fetes to cleaning your home, this song makes the hips of almost any woman move. And well, as is custom in our country, makes men stand back and appreciate the full breadth of feminine expression.
Take a listen for yourself, and let me know what you think of the rhythm.
Interested in more? Follow me here.
H A P P Y M O N D A Y!
Hoping your Monday has not been too much of a bore! As we draw 2017 to a close and get ready for Christmas, I wanted to share a short feature on my new Instagram series Monday Inspovation which will be posted on………… Monday obviously.
Starting now and ending in December 2018, I will be sharing a word every Monday that motivates and inspires me to be stronger, calmer and beautiful.
If you are not following me on IG, follow me here —> Iamnatalake
Today’s word is Glamour.
Because what lady doesn’t love a little (or A LOT) of glam in her life and on her!
Focus on the word at least once or twice a day, really just let it mentally soak into your body and soul.
The more you focus, the more it becomes you.
Welcome to my new series! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed putting it together! I look at this series like there is glitter being sprinkled everywhere. Sprinkling motivation like glitter! Sounds about right!
Every Tuesday I will be posting transformation tips that I have used or will be using and blogging about some of my experiences right here!
A few things!
- Transformation Tuesday Tips (TTT) is holistic. It is not just about body transformation. Focusing on inner transformation is going to be included because you cannot transform on the outside without dealing with yourself first!
- It will be available on Instagram! So follow me here!
- Participation is everything! Have a comment? Have a tip to share? Let me know in the comments or email me, I would love some input!
Looking forward to interacting with everyone!!
A few months ago I wrote a post on Choosing Joy and following your Passion.
And I still believe it to be true.
Though not noticeable to many, if any at all, over the past month or so I slowly sank into a very deep depression. So much so it was only in the past few days, it hit me how much I had down spiraled.
In many ways, I am saddened. But this is not a pity party. It is about finding the strength to pick oneself back up when the going has gotten so tough, you live on autopilot and are literally numb. That’s the issue with a chemical imbalance. You do not see it manifest until literally, you cannot recount the days, work like a maniac and then crash and burn.
And I wonder. While I hashtag #expectimperfect on myInstagramm, how many people who I am so lucky to have had taken an interest in my feed, fully understand the honesty and depth of the phrase, what lies behind it and the multitude of sins it covers.
I wonder if they see the motivational posts and believe there is perfection behind it, or if they understand there is a deep journey in progress.
That it is more than just my hashtag. This is a genuine journey, becoming a butterfly after being cocooned by my life, my circumstances, and my life choices.
Transparency in a world of filters.
Just discovered the Daily Post Prompt! Today it is Honk!
So where I live, the honk of a car horn can symbolise many things.
Mainly it indicates availability of a taxi or maxi taxi to commuters. Also like everywhere else in the world its a universal male code for “Hey girl, over here” that is: a tool for sexual harassment.
Did I go too far?
Here’s a peek at my morning.
I stand on the side of the main road waiting for transport. See a car passing… kinda looks like a taxi, so I flag him down. He goes straight past me. Meanwhile an approaching vehicle honks their horn. Finally! A taxi!!
A group of leering men who feel the need to express their appreciation of my beauty by blowing their horns.
Does not sound bad? Ok.
I’m waiting for transport in a cute outfit, because YES I like to look cute for moi! First “honk of appreciation” turns into a chorus of cars and A LOT of unwanted attention.
Which now leads to proposals and offers of drops to wherever I want to go… (meanwhile I am being undressed by their eyes).
Factor this in. Women go missing everyday in my country. We are a suspected prime point for human trafficking.
Factor this is in.
I would just like to walk the road in peace.
I am not saying you cannot say good morning. It’s preferred over the heckling and unsolicited offers.
Men get upset when a woman is unresponsive and proceed to verbally abuse her because she does not heed the heckling. Many times the woman gets angry and reacts too. We all have different responses.
Male friends have even told me that it continues as some women encourage the behaviour by responding in a positive manner.
To each his own.
Personally, I would prefer you honk your horn for the reasons they taught you at driving school.
In my earlier post, “Things I Wish I Had Known and Focused on More” I did my first list of those things, that really, if I had known more of, or perhaps been more disciplined in following, outcomes may have been slightly different in many areas of my life.
This is a short and sweet addition to the more things that I wish I had known.
- Some people are not as nice as they pretend to be. Ignore them
- There are some great people in the world.
- Forget about fear, it is self-created.
- Cutting someone off is not selfish, it is necessary for your own piece of mind.
- Sometimes you just have to dive right in.
- The less time you spend worrying about what others think, the more time you will have to spend on what you love.
- People cheat.
- Revenge only feels good temporarily.
- Don’t take things personally. People do not think of you as much as you think of yourself.
- Sometimes all you really need is a good cry.
- Not everyone is going to like you. This should not matter.
- Dig deep and find the courage to live your life.
- Only pack what you can carry yourself
- Do not make decisions when you are angry
- Take the leap even though it scares the hell out of you.
There is nothing more liberating than realizing you have nothing to lose- and that you never did in the first place.
Have a great weekend xx